KING, N.C. (November 28, 2017) — The holiday season is a time of celebration, but with the flurry of activity, pet owners should be sure they don’t overlook the safety of their pets.
With the excitement of the holiday season, it can be easy to forget that not all traditions are a good fit for pets.
Much like toddlers, pets are attracted to bright lights, shining ornaments and dangling tinsel, and pet owners should be aware that many holiday decorations can be hazardous to their pets.
To ensure a happy and safe holiday season pet owners may want to keep these decoration safety tips in mind:
* Christmas trees add beauty to the home, but pine tree water can be poisonous, so it is best to use an enclosed tree stand. If that is not possible, be sure to cover open tree stand bases. Make sure that the tree is secured to the wall with strong wire or twine, because a toppling tree can cause serious injuries to dogs and cats.
* Ornaments and hooks, twinkling lights and electrical wiring can pose significant danger to pets by ingestion or contact. When no one will be around to supervise, unplug lights and any electrical decorations a pet has access to. Cover or tack down electrical cords.
* To avoid pets being burned or causing a fire hazard, ensure that pets are confined away from any room containing a lit Hanukkah menorah or holiday candle.
* Holiday plants that are poisonous to pets include the berries of the mistletoe, holly, hibiscus, Christmas roses and the poinsettia. Keep these plants out of pets’ reach.
Some foods can be another culprit for one of the most common holiday pet emergencies.
* Dark and baker’s chocolate. While milk chocolate is not poisonous, it will cause a pet to have an upset stomach. On the other hand, dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate contain high levels of theobromine and caffeine. Animals are extremely sensitive to both, and ingesting either type of chocolate could be fatal.
* Chocolate gold coins. These treats—sometimes used in Hanukkah and Christmas traditions—should be kept in a location that cannot be accessed by pets. Not only do the chocolate coins contain theobromine and caffeine, but the shiny foil wrappers can also cause intestinal issues if digested.
* Xylitol. This sugar substitute causes a dog’s blood sugar to drop quickly. This poisoning can be treated, but causes liver failure if not treated properly.
* Macadamia nuts. Dogs experience severe weakness in their back legs, appearing paralyzed, after ingesting macadamia nuts. Dogs usually recover from this condition within three days.
* Bread dough. When bread dough is ingested it continues to rise, causing an intestinal blockage.
* Latkes and sufganiyot. For pets, ingestion of these Hanukkah treats could result in a variety of gastrointestinal issues, including vomiting and diarrhea. Also, some ingredients can have even more dangerous consequences. The onions in latkes, for example, can cause Heinz body anemia in both cats and dogs.
* If a pet ingests any potentially harmful product, pet owners should call a veterinarian or a local emergency animal hospital immediately.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has staff available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance call 888-426-4435. A small fee may apply.
Best wishes to all for a safe and happy holiday season!!
Tails Up! Napa Valley
Tails Up Napa Valley
A HUGE thank you to Jennifer Huffman, the business editor at the Napa Register and to Kirk Kirkpatrick, their business reporter for the fantastic story they did on Tails Up! Napa Valley. What anapavalleyregister.com/business/imagine-in-home-napa-pet-sitting-for-the-holidays/article_1ace3ab5-1ba8-5f16-980f-efd403bdf0a1.html great story about our business and our philosophy about animal care. We so appreciate this!
Imagine in-home Napa pet sitting for the holidays
With potential holiday travel coming up, you may be wondering what to do with your animals while you’re away.